The book is available in bookshops and at: Amazon India. For a review copy please contact HBF India office.
Since the beginning of the new millennium, the growth of the “new middle class” in the world’s rapidly emerging economies has received much interest, even excitement. But what is new middle class really like in countries such as India and Brazil? Is it a solid upwardly mobile social group – or rather a fragile class prone to poverty again once the next economic crisis comes? Does the new middle class support democracy – or does it rather tend towards aggressive nationalism? And if so much of the world is going to pursue typical middle class lifestyles and patterns of consumption, wouldn’t that have massive environmental impacts – or are there more sustainable options?
With perspectives from India and Brazil, this volume provides new insights into what is likely the most significant social development of our times: the rise of a global middle class, full of aspirations, in a world where safe limits of sustainability are already being transgressed.
The book is edited by Dawid Danilo Bartelt and Axel Harneit-Sievers, published by Academic Foundation in partnership with the Heinrich Böll Foundation and contains contributions from 18 researchers and social activists.
Table of contents:
About the Editors/Contributors
The New Middle Class: Data and Perceptions
- The Importance of Being Middle Class in India
DEVESH KAPUR, NEELANJAN SIRCAR and MILAN VAISHNAV
- The Elusive New Middle Class in Brazil
CELIA LESSA KERSTENETZKY, CHRISTIANE UCHȎA and NELSON DO VALLE SILVA
Elements of Social and Cultural Life of the New Middle Class
- The New Middle Class in Brazilian Telenovelas: Cultural and Symbolical Aspects
- Caste and the Indian Middle Class
SURINDER S. JODHKA
- IT Industry in India: Testing the Limits of Change in Gendered Spaces
- Jesus is Power! Neopentecostals and the New Middle Class in Brazil
MARILENE DE PAULA
New Middle Class Politics
- Where are the New Middle Classes in Brazil?
- Political Preferences of India’s Middle Classes
PARANJOY GUHA THAKURTA
- The Rise of the ‘Aam Aadmi’: The New Middle Class and its Politics in India
New Middle Class Consumption and Green Politics
- Indian Urban Middle Class Youth’s Engagement with Consumer Culture: Restraints, Constraints and Freedom
- Consumerism and the Indian Middle Classes
- Green Politics and the Indian Middle Class
ASHOK K. LAHIRI